Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Synopsis
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YAY YAY YAY! This book was delightful! Miss Peregrine's was a breath of fresh air in the midst of a book slump. Aaahhhh... I wouldn't say it's the first of its kind (I found it similar to The Book of Lost Things) however I enjoyed this. Read it in one day flat. 

~Spoiler Free Review~

Writing: I really think Ransom Riggs has a wonderful way of writing. I really got “the feelings” with this book. I was heartbroken with Jacob. I was really lost with Jacob. I really felt hope with Jacob. Riggs did a great job and I think this duology (correct me if I’m wrong) is something he should really be proud of. 

World: SCORE! Miss P’s was SO descriptive! I loved being taken on this journey from our world to this weird island to this weirder orphanage! It was fantastic from the first word to the last page. I LOVE some good world building and this book DOES NOT disappoint. 
Character: I really liked Jacob. I have never been through anything like Jacob has and yet I found him extremely realistic. He was flawed and lost and completely human. I adored all of the orphans and found that the bad guys were surprisingly creepy. 

Plot: This storyline is eccentric and bizarre but it totally works. I have a confession: I don’t do creepy. I was extremely nervous going into this book because I have seen some of the pictures and disturbing things seriously make me sick. I just can’t do them. I was very hesitant to pick up this book but honestly, I think it had the perfect level of eerie for me. 

Overall, this was very enjoyable for me. I’m going to take a little break but the next time I feel that I need a refresher I will pick up Hollow City, or even the graphic novel! I would recommend this book to everyone, seriously. Point blank: it is just a good story with good characters and some damn good writing. I really think you will be happy you did. 

---
“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”
---

Really Liked It
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this then you may also enjoy: 
6457229 7848083 7558747

No comments:

Post a Comment