Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Synopsis
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I love this? Absolutely. 

Do I even need to review this? Probably not. 

As a self-titled "Book Blogger" I feel my spec of a page on the world wide web would not be complete without some of the more obvious reviews. So, here it is and I promise I won't go on and on. We all know what this book is about and if you don't, you need to remedy this immediately! Doctor's orders! 

I have read this series twice now and I'm sure I will be reading it again in my near future. I just saw the movie last night, so my thoughts on that will be at the end of this review. 

~Spoiler Free Review~

Writing: Veronica Roth, thank you for writing a wonderful book. I loved Roth's writing style and the flow from page to page. Divergent is a prefect example of how a good book should never end, hence two more books. Because of this book alone I will pick up anything Roth writes, ANYTHING! From all the books I read in 2013 I have to say that Veronica Roth, and her writing style, became a staple along my book journey. 

World: The world building in this book was spot on. The Divergent series is character heavy however the world building is, by no means, put on the back burner. I could see and feel the world. I believe that if any distopian author wants to excel, then good world building is crucial and Roth proved here that she could create a great foundation to build a story on for multiple books and even multiple novellas as people just want more of this world. 

Characters: Tris is everything a lead character should be. She doesn't whine, she doesn't complain, and most importantly, she isn't a victim! She takes her fears and faces them like a strong woman should! Her fears make her into this character that is indescribable. I absolutely adore Tris and she is in my list of favorite characters of all time. The same is true for her counterpart, Four/Tobias. Oh Four... I cannot get enough of him. Great character, great guy, great fighter, just great everything. Four is everything. Sigh... 

Plot: A lot of people compare this book to the Hunger Games and I get it to a point. Does it have a kick ass lead female protagonist who is up against a entire government movement? Uh huh! But that is where the similarities end. This story-line sucked me in from the first page turn and again in my re-read. This is such and amazing adventure of love and fight and passion and despair. Divergent has a plot that has been executed flawlessly. 

Overall, I seriously have nothing bad to say. I love this book. I love this series. I love Tris & Four. If by some fluke you have not read this then it is time to discover the next best thing to hit paper and form sentences. A fantastic journey through a unique adventure. Love.


“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up” 
---
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.” 

It was amazing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this then you may also enjoy: 

   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Divergent Movie:


 I was very pleasantly surprised with this movie. After all of the Harry Potter movies and the two Hunger Games movies came out on point I was nervous for this movie. We were bound to get a rotten egg in there somewhere right? Wrong! I will say that this does deviate from the book and some people may think this wrecks the film but I understood all the necessary cuts. This movie was already long, it didn't to be shortened up. I was extremely hesitant about Shailene Woodley as Tris but she made me a hardcore believer. Theo James was unbelievable! Serious movie chemistry. I loved Four in the book and I was not disappointed. Move aside Peeta Mellark (I still love you)... 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: I took the aptitude test and guess what?! I'M DIVERGENT!!!!
Candor and Amity, makes sense. I'm a terrible liar and I think I'm nice! :)
Take your faction test here: http://divergentthemovie.com/aptitudetest
Let me know what you got!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment