Monday, March 10, 2014

Sing Sweet Nightingale by: Erica Cameron

Synopsis
She pledged her voice to Orane, the man she loves—someone she only sees in her dreams. Each night, she escapes to Paradise, the world Orane created for her, and she sings for him. Mariella never believed she could stay in Paradise longer than a night, but two weeks before her eighteenth birthday, Orane hints that she may be able to stay forever. 

Calease, the creature who created his dream world, swore that giving up violence would protect Hudson. But when his vow caused the death of his little brother, Hudson turned his grief on Calease and destroyed the dream world. The battle left him with new abilities and disturbing visions of a silent girl in grave danger—Mariella.

Now, Hudson is fighting to save Mariella's life while she fights to give it away. And he must find a way to show her Orane’s true intentions before she is lost to Paradise forever.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonderful! I’ve been in a bit of a book slump with my ARC’s and Sing Sweet Nightingale was a very addicting read. I really liked it. It was chilling, eerie, exciting, and haunting all in one. You know when you read a book that makes you think twice about something mundane that you do every day? This is one of those books. Every morning when I wake up and remember a dream that I had the previous night I instantly start thinking of my dreams as possible demon take-overs! I believe that is the definition of a good book after all… a piece of imagination given as a gift to the reader through pages of another’s vision. 


~Spoiler Free Review~

Writing: Debut author Erica Cameron did a fantastic job on not only her first book, but with her first book to a new series! I think this story-line was well developed on Cameron’s part. As a reader you can tell that a lot of research was done surrounding geology aspects and their corresponding energies. I really love the whole rock element along with the portal notion. Overall this was an easy read; easy to follow and easy to comprehend. The dual perspective was executed flawlessly. 

World: Cameron was able to portray this imaginative dream world with new rules and boundaries. There was this magic surrounding the world and objects that was very intriguing and I think a good foundation to build more books off of.

Characters: If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times, I LOVE strong female characters. If she is weak or helpless I will more than likely not care for her as a character. That being said, I will now eat my words… I liked Mariella. She was naive and ignorant. She’s also 17 and has grown up with a demon calling the shots. Mariella blooms into a confident 18 year-old woman by the end and I think I will adore her as the series continues. Speaking of strong female characters, I really liked KT too!

Now, on to Hudson. First of all, I have always loved that name, so I had a bit of an insta-connection with him. He is strong, devoted, compassionate, dependable, and well… hot! Let’s be re! He has made my “2014-top-male-lead-characters” list for sure! I hate Orane, obviously, but that was the point. I think his character was depicted well and I’m really curious to see what happens with his character and Calease for that matter. I really want to know more about these demon characters. I’m also excited to see how other characters develop in the next books: Danny, KTs sister, Dr. Carol, Horace’s niece… 

Plot: I loved the whole idea of demons luring in young and talented human prey from the unguarded state of sleep and tempting them into a purely malicious world with fabricated beauty and deceitful promises. I thought the plot was executed flawlessly and I really couldn’t find many holes in the design. It was mostly fast paced and flowed seamlessly. The romance was perfect. This is really just an underlying layer in the story. 

Overall I liked this book a lot. It grabbed my attention right away and kept my mind involved throughout the whole book. Sing Sweet Nightingale consist of impressive writing, spectacular world building, great characters, and a unique plot. I would recommend this if you are into the YA genre or just looking for an easy read/new series that is fresh and new.  

Really liked it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this then you may also enjoy: 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment