Monday, February 10, 2014

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Synopsis: 

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh... Hate that I loved this as much as I did. 

I typically don’t like vampire books as there will never be another Twilight and I hate copy-cat books. That being said, the Twilight Saga, in my opinion, had some things that just didn’t set right with me. It was the first of its kind to really blow up though and I did really enjoy them. Anything and everything that was missing or lacking (aka lame lead female character) in the Twilight saga is in this book however. Dare I say that The Vampire Academy (and hopefully the entire series) trumps Twilight.  I read this in one sitting…

~Spoiler Free Review~

Writing: Richelle Mead has a fantastic writing style. Mead’s words or so addicting, they have a certain flow that makes one soar through the chapters with ease and understanding. Her details are necessary and concise. At no point in the book did I want her to “get on with it” as I do in so many other stories that drag on with the particulars. Just from reading this first book alone I would pick up another Mead book in a heartbeat.

Characters: Ah, Rose… I LOVE her! She is everything I hoped that Bella would have been. Rose is kick-ass, mature, strong, independent, and driven. I love her dedication to her Dhampir lifestyle and devotion to Lissa and their friendship. Rose still has moments of weakness, which I think portray a believable character, and is everything a “vampire bodyguard” should be. She is a young adult without any of that teenage angst. I loved her from the moment she put her neck out for Lissa! I HAD insta-love for the friendship between these two girls. Mead does a great job portraying a friendship that isn’t suffocating and completely and utterly believable. 

Dimitri? 

Mmmm... He’s so yummy and I think he’s just getting started… that is all I have to say about that! 

ALL of the other characters are awesome! I generally have one character that just doesn’t sit right with me, like someone was thrown in last minute. I believe that Mead thought out every character in detail and every character is needed, or will be needed, at some point.

Plot: I really enjoyed the story-line and the logistics that Mead takes on the Moroi/Dhampir/Strigoi lifestyle. I think that the rules and regulations of which are explained perfectly with a very good understanding surrounding the dynamics of each. I don’t feel that there are many/if any holes in the plot and everything seems to mesh together nicely.

I want to add a side note that this does revolve around a high school however I don’t feel like I’m not reading about a seventeen year-old. Yes, you can expect some high school drama, the intolerable boys, the cliques, and the malicious girls. I still thoroughly enjoyed it though and didn’t feel at all that it was too childish. When mixed with the paranormal it was flawless.

All in all, I cannot believe I waited this long to pick up this book, which was first published in 2007  BTW… I would recommend it to ANYONE who likes YA, New Adults, or Paranormal stories. If Twilight turned you away from vampire books then I beg you to put E&B behind you and give R&D a shot! I hate that I’m so hooked… I do fear the books to come though. I’ve heard that, for some, this book loses steam and I REALLY don’t want it to. I will continue on with a hopeful heart.

I'm planning on seeing the movie tomorrow night and I cannot wait!

It was amazing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this you may also enjoy: 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment