Thursday, January 2, 2014

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


Spoiler Free Review: 

I am really on the fence about how I feel about this book. Depending on the type of literature you personally enjoy, you may adore this book or you may loathe it. I am a little of both. 

The main character Remy is a large part of why I’m torn on this book. She is extremely independent in some ways, which I always love in a lead female character, but her confusion about love is a little extreme and warped? There were times I wanted to punch her across the face because it’s just not that hard of a concept to grasp. I understand everyone has their own outlook on the facts of life and I also understand that her mother’s love life was not one to use as a prime example however if something was rough in a person’s upbringing there comes a time in life when you can’t keep making excuses for this. I think the reason this upsets me so with Remy is because she is a smart girl. She can take care of herself. She has a good core set of friends and yet she is completely bitter about love since childhood and is so calloused to the concept that she has slept her way through high school and cannot see a good thing right in front of her? I don’t know… I’m sure some people will disagree completely but Remy just put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. That being said, there were things I really did like Remy, I just couldn't LOVE her. 

Dexter, sigh… He is just so darn cute! He is a prime example of why I read Young Adult Contemporaries. He sounds handsome, is very witty and sincere, and looks at life as if there is always a bright side. (I’d like to note that he came from a family upbringing similar to Remy’s and he isn't running around “Woe is my love life” like his counterpart is… just saying!) I really enjoyed the dialog between Dexter and Remy and found it believable and not overly sugar coated. 

I thought the plot was cute. Predictable to a point, like many boy-meets-girl contemporary novels, however I read it in no time flat without putting the book down for any large period of time. This is my second Sarah Dessen book and I would read another one in the future. In my opinion they are really good books to lighten up or refresh with after reading something heavy, dark, or long. I just flew through rereading The Hunger Games trilogy and I wasn't ready to dive into another dystopian series quite yet and this was the perfect recharge book. 

Dessen’s writing style is very easy to follow and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Young Adult Contemporaries or are looking for something fluffy. I want to add though that, I personally, wouldn't recommend it for a young reader (middle school?) as I wouldn't want to encourage Remy’s behavior. In my opinion or for my own daughter someday, I wouldn't want to give her the impression that I think sleeping your way through high school is okay. Remy who, as a fictional character, was lucky no real implications were imposed onto her based on her actions as can happen in real non-fictional life.

In the end I liked it


I would really like to know what your thoughts on this book are! Did you feel the same? Do you completely disagree with me? Is there something else I'm completely missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment