Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday Thoughts ~ Read-a-thons


Currently there is a Bout of Books Read-a-thon 9.0 underway. It started Monday January 6th and goes through Sunday January 12th. I am participating although I didn’t technically “sign up” on the website as I decided last minute to participate. I had almost 500 pages down by the end of day three. I’ll get some more done tonight and tomorrow night but I’m really looking forward to really finishing books this weekend. I haven’t done many read-a-thons in my past mainly because I end up having plans during the time frame and I won’t be able to dedicate myself like I would like to. With that being said I have some questions about read-a-thons.

First, what books to choose? I know from what little experience I have that, obviously, one reads fast when pushing for pages. I’ve learned the hard way that I tend to miss a lot of details so I don’t want to ready anything heavy or anything I truly want to absorb. That takes out at least half of my “to-read” list. The genres I’m left with to choose from then are going to a lot of the same thing. This is fine but it doesn’t really mix things up much.

Second, because I end up reading a ton of the same stuff I end up in a book slump afterwards. It is fun to really push for pages but once I’m done pushing I always have to take a little break. Books just don’t look appealing anymore. It’s kind of like the time I took an art class. I love painting, but the minute I HAD to paint I hated it. Similar to a read-a-thon, I push myself to read for a certain period of time because I “have” to and then I don’t want to touch another book for a week. I know, reader problems, but I don’t like to be in a slump. There are so many good stories our there waiting to be read that I don’t want to sit at home and do nothing!

What are your thoughts?
How do you feel about read-a-thons?
What do you like about them?
What do you dislike?
What kind of books do you pick?
Are you participating in the Bout of Books 9.0?

Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment